Re: [css-nav-trans] RFC: Proposal for style rule to specify transitions between page navigations

On 23/06/2015 14:48, Christopher Lord wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on a proposal for a new style rule that will allow
> page authors to apply transitions when navigating between pages. I've
> put it on github[0][1] for easy perusal and modification.
>
> This was driven mostly by our desire to switch to a multi-page
> architecture in the next major version of FirefoxOS, and partly as a
> reaction to Google's proposal/demo to do the same thing. I wrote about
> this in a blog post[2] (this post is outdated, please see [1] for the
> most up-to-date revision of the proposal).
>
> There is intent at Mozilla to implement either this proposal, or
> something very similar - I've been discussing this with various
> interested parties for a while and would like to formalise it and open
> it up to wider discussion now.
>
> I've written up a specification with the aid of bikeshed, and using
> various existing specifications (such as CSS transitions, CSS animations
> and CSS media queries) as inspiration for language and the amount of
> detail to include.
>
> Any feedback and help would be most appreciated, I'm new to this process.

Hi Christopher and thank you for that proposal. I've invested time on
this myself but my former employer blocked the submission of my work.

Some of my work on Page Transitions predating my employment mentioned
above, I can quote it here, and maybe you'll find it useful since
a proposal for Page Transitions should make sure it can cover the
use cases in existing apps:

Pre-IE9 transitions
-------------------

Based on a META element.

http-equiv attribute is Page-Enter, Page-Exit, Site-Enter or Site-Exit.

content attribute is "blendTrans(Duration=X)" or
revealTrans(Duration=X,Transition=Y)

MSFT PowerPoint for Mac 2011
----------------------------

Transitions with mostly boolean parameters and a duration.

Transitions are cut, fade, push, wipe, split, reveal, randomBars,
shape, coverchange, flash, dissolve, checkerboard, blinds, clock,
ripple, honeycomb, glitter, vortex, shred, switch, flip, gallery, cube,
doors, box, zoom, pan, ferris, conveyor, rotate, window, orbit,
flythrough.

Apple Keynote '09
-----------------

4 categories of transitions: text, object, 2D, 3D.

Transitions are anagram, shimmer, sparkle, swing, objectpush,
objectzoom, perspective, revolve, cube, doorway, flip, flop, mosaic,
page flip, reflection, revolvingdoor, swap, twist, dissolve,
fadethroughcolor, iris, movein, push, reveal, scale, wipe.

In electronic books
-------------------

The page flip transition is extremely common. Ebooks being a major
user of the Web, we should definitely be able to flip between the
last page of a html document and the first one of the next html
document...

Security issues

The main concern will of course be the security issues: if the
transition is blending the two pages, how do you make sure the
destination page cannot get information from the originating one?
Should the transition be defined by both the originating and
destination pages or one only?

---

</Daniel>