Re: [css-writing-modes-3] range limit for 'text-combine-upright: all' versus 'text-combine-upright: digits <integer>'

> On 22 Jun 2015, at 11:35, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> There seems to be no implicit (and no explicit) range limit to the number of consecutive characters when using 'text-combine-upright: all' but there is a range 2-4 limit with 'text-combine-upright: digits n':
>> Q1: is that assumption correct? (To me, this seems odd and incoherent.)
>
> Correct.
>
>> Q2: If there is no range limitation with 'text-combine-upright: all', then
>> why should there be one with 'text-combine-upright: digits n' where 'n'
>> would be a [2-9] digit?
>
> “all” is not likely to be affected much by the number of characters; it just measure the whole string, and shrink if needed.
>
> “digits” checks the number of characters, and thus could fail on specific number. A request was made to avoid implementations and testing that were never used in the real world.

I agree with Gérard.

I understand wanting to limit to 4 digits since there is no use case for more if that makes implementations simpler.

I do not understand why the logic is not applied to the all value, allowing it to only match up to 4 digits.

 - Florian