Re: [css-text][css-conditional] language specific support for hyphenation and justification

> On 16 Jun 2015, at 15:29, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> While hyphenation is often necessary for nice justification, it isn’t the
> only thing that can contribute. There are also features that browsers
> don’t support yet like min/max word spacing and multi-line justification
> algorithms. Using nice-justification for just the list above would be
> premature, I think.

I agree, but then it gets tricky, as different people have different thresholds for what's nice enough. Maybe nice-justification() needs a bunch of flags so that you can indicate what you consider necessary. But agreeing on the list of flags is going to be an interesting exercise...

So maybe just deferring to the browser's opinion of it's own ability to justify 'nicely' in a language would be good enough in the general case, and if you're really picky about justification with specific criteria over what you want in a specific language, then you can go explicitly check over the individual features.

But again, I posted this suggestion not because I thought it was good, but rather because I couldn't come up with a better one, and hoping someone would.

> Since hyphenation-language would be checked on a language-specific basis,
> couldn’t you just omit the check for languages that don’t need hyphenation
> for justification? I’m not sure what should be done for the kashida case,
> though.

If we add "@supports hyphenation-language()" (and possibly "@supports kashida()") and you're working over known set of languages, then yes, you can. But if you are writing a reusable stylesheet that's meant to be applied to arbitrary content that could be in any language, then it becomes a daunting job.

 - Florian