Re: [css-backgrounds] border-image with an SVG resource that has no intrinsic size

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:49:49 -0700
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: David Vest <davve@opera.com>

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 4:51 AM, David Vest <davve@opera.com> wrote:
>
> When looking into the Blink bug related to this
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=492485 I wrote
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OcebuhY45_RdLUCxXu1yKPYL3u4Pf1yrERqfbGNJwzE/edit?usp=sharing
> essentially ending up with favoring not drawing anything in the case
> when there is no intrinsic dimensions at all. WDYT?

I think the diagram that follows "we end up with a case like this" is incorrect. If the border image area is used as the default object size, then the bounding box dimensions of the svg should be stretched to be contained within the border image area, without distorting its intrinsic aspect ratio (which your example does seem to have).