Re: [css-transforms] Why doesn't perspective-origin just use <position>?

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:54:53 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:37 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The 'perspective-origin' property specifies a point in a 2d box.  Why
> isn't its grammar just using the <position> production?  It looks like
> it's reusing the 'transform-origin' grammar, but without the 3rd
> coordinate.
>
> <position> is complicated enough that it's annoying to parse a grammar
> near it to figure out what's different/excluded.

I don’t know of a specific reason why we don’t use <position> on perspective-origin.

It looks like Gecko parses it the same way as transform-origin but without the z coordinate.
WebKit and Blink use a special function just for perspective-origin. Both can probably use <position>.

Would implementations be willing to change?

Greetings,
Dirk