Re: [css-writing-modes] Propose writing-mode: sideways-left

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 13:25:41 -0700
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wednesday 2015-06-03 04:00 +0900, Koji Ishii wrote:
> I'd like to propose:
>
>   writing-mode: sideways-left
>
> which is equivalent to setting the two properties:
>   writing-mode: vertical-lr;
>   text-orientation: sideways-left;

CSS doesn't have properties where some of their values reset another
property but some don't.  So are you proposing that writing-mode
always become a shorthand that includes text-orientation?  (And, if
so, is there now a longhand corresponding to the actual value in
writing-mode?)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,