Re: [css-variables] Why we can not use 'var()' function for normal property

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 15:15:43 -0400
To: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 6/2/15 3:09 PM, Marat Tanalin wrote:
> This depends on what property is accessed at a specific moment.

So this requires either recomputing values or storing, with each
property value, its "nesting depth", yes?

> Similarly, in JavaScript, if functions are calling each other, exact function that has started a call chain that has lead to achieving recursion limit depends on what function is called first. That's ok.

I don't think recursion limits in JS are a good model here.  They vary
by browser, by JIT heuristic, by operating system, and probably other
things I'm not thinking of right now.

> To be clear, limiting nesting level is not to get consistent results

Wait, stop.  Why do we not want consistent results???  We do!

-Boris