Re: Proposal: add a "small-caps" value to "font-synthesis"

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:00:11 +0000
To: "Myles C. Maxfield" <mmaxfield@apple.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Ted O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
On 7/30/15, 2:42 PM, "Myles C. Maxfield" <mmaxfield@apple.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The font-synthesis CSS property is a way for authors to opt-out of
>synthesized font traits such as bold or italics. It seems reasonable to
>add small-caps to this set. Using "font-synthesis: small-caps;" would
>specify that, if a small-caps font cannot be found, to use a
>non-small-caps font without synthesizing smaller, capital, text.
>
>What are your thoughts?

I like the idea of disallowing shrunken small caps, but font-synthesis
appears to be specified in the reverse of your usage:
“font-synthesis:weight;” allows smearing and “font-synthesis:none;” is the
setting to disallow it. That makes it difficult to add new categories of
synthesis blocking using that property.

Thanks,

Alan