Re: [css-writing-modes] 'writing-mode' and deprecated SVG values

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:38:52 +0000
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>

On Jul 28, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com<mailto:kojiishi@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au<mailto:cam@mcc.id.au>> wrote:
Koji Ishii:
> I'm good with the proposal. Gecko and Trident already handle them as value
> aliases. I'm still under planning of how to unprefix writing-mode in Blink,
> but I think what Gecko did is the only reasonable choice.

FYI, Gecko does not support the old keyword values in our new Writing
Modes implementation.

Thank you for the info, I misunderstood when we discussed about inheriting writing-mode from HTML to SVG.

I wrote a simple test how Gecko handles this[1] and figured out that I was wrong:

1. Gecko supports "vertical-rl" both in HTML and SVG and inherits
2. Gecko no longer supports "tb*" in either HTML nor SVG

It was a bit of surprising to me that Gecko does not recognize "tb" in SVG. Is this intentional? I can't find "vertical-rl" in SVG 1.1 nor 2.0. Is it in 3.0 draft?

writing-mode (as many other CSS properties) was first defined in a SVG spec and will now be described by a CSS module under the supervision of the CSS WG. (In this case the CSS WG is also the author of the spec.)

You won’t find a description of writing-mode in SVG 2 or any other future version of SVG. Instead SVG will reference the CSS module directly.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://jsbin.com/diluka/edit?html,output

/koji