Re: [css-inline] Wrapping around initial letters

On 7/24/15, 5:35 AM, "Tom Potts" <karaken12@gmail.com> wrote:

>Interesting. It looks to me like this could use shape-outside, treating
>the initial letter gylph as the used shape. In that case, it could be
>modified by authors with shape-margin if they want to adjust the spacing
>themselves.
>

>One thing that seems a little odd with the illustrations, between
>Examples 2 and 3 the "o" of "out" in the third line is closer to the
>initial "A" in Example 3 than Example 2. It's entirely consistent with
>the spec as written (as far
> as I can tell), but it seems strange that the option that makes lines
>closer to the letter actually moves that line further away, in this case.

In a similar vein, a letter with a straight right edge (say, H) could push
the first line farther away with first-line versus none. The shape-outside
property on floats does not allow the effect of the shape to extend
outside the float’s margin box. If we used shape-outside (or adopted a
similar constraint) then these oddities could be avoided.

I don’t think there’s a fixed offset that works for every situation
(side-bearing?, stroke weight?). So using shape-outside would also allow
the author to choose an offset using shape-margin.

If we used shape-outside, we’d still need the initial-letter-wrap
property, I think. It’s just that the ‘auto’ and ‘first-line’ values would
extend the shape-outside behavior (not just floats). And the author could
choose a shape-outside based on the letter’s ink or fall back to their own
shape function if they wished.

We would need a new keyword for shape-outside for the ink, likely the
general ‘wrap around this element’s rendered content’ idea that I’ve been
meaning to add to shapes level 2. There are some security implications for
this - malicious script could determine whether a link had been visited by
looking at a carefully constructed wrapping result. So there would be some
situations where wrapping around an initial letter would have to fail
(whether or not we use shape-outside).