Re: [css-logical-props] additional logical values for caption-side

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 10:19:44 -0700
To: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
On Saturday 2015-07-04 00:33 -0400, Gérard Talbot wrote:
> I have no idea what 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' (and their logical
> correspondent: 'block-start-outside' and 'block-end-outside') mean or refer
> to; as far as I can see, they behave just like top and bottom. Could you
> provide me a link to a document that explains 'top-outside' and
> 'bottom-outside' values and I'd be happy to include those values in my
> tests.
>
> There is no documentation about 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' values at
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/caption-side

They do roughly what 'top' and 'bottom' did in CSS 2.0 (rather than
2.1), but with some corrections.  The main difference is the width
of the caption being largely independent of the width of the table,
and resulting changes in the horizontal alignment of the caption and
table.  (There might also be differences on whether the left/right
margins of the caption are inside the table's left/right margin.)

The working group resolved to add them to CSS in:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/0139.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/0144.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2005AprJun/att-0149/css-mins-20050601.htm
to resolve Issue #182 in: