Re: [css-logical-props] additional logical values for caption-side

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 00:33:01 -0400
To: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Le 2015-07-01 03:16, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
> We're in the process of implementing the logical values[1] for
> caption-side.

Coincidentally, I am in the process of creating tests for
caption-side...

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/CaptionSide-writing-modes-dhtml.html

> Given that in addition to 'top' and 'bottom', Gecko supports the
> 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' values (not currently standard, but
> foreshadowed in [2]), I'd like to request that analogous
> 'block-start-outside' and 'block-end-outside' values should also be
> added.

I created an interactive demo many years and, regarding caption-side, it
still works in Firefox 38+:

http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/DynamicTableFormatting.html

left and right captions can be vertically positioned thanks to
'vertical-align'.

I have no idea what 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' (and their
logical correspondent: 'block-start-outside' and 'block-end-outside')
mean or refer to; as far as I can see, they behave just like top and
bottom. Could you provide me a link to a document that explains
'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside' values and I'd be happy to include
those values in my tests.

There is no documentation about 'top-outside' and 'bottom-outside'
values at

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/caption-side

Gérard