Re: [css-text-decor]: text-shadow should also apply to replaced content, like semi-transparent images

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Still, it appears odd to me that it'd require two different CSS rules, one
> for rendering text and one for rendering images - which in case of vector
> images is quite similar to rendering text.
>
> This is particularly true for bullet lists having the bullet be an image. Or
> for inline images which - from the author's perspective - are basically no
> different from other inline content.
>
> Not to mention the overhead for creating animated/transitioned shadows.

That cost is paid no matter what, no?

> I don't see a reason for differentiating between text and images. They're
> all plain content with irregular shape.

They're not the same.  Text is a vector format, and we can ignore how
it draws and just read out the geometry, for the purpose of drawing
text-shadows.  (In other words, we can just redraw the text in the
desired shadow color, apply the desired blurring, then composite it in
the right place in the visual ordering.)  That's quite a bit different
from handling images with transparent areas, whether the image is
vector or raster.