Re: [css-text-4] text-wrap:balance take 2

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:04:37 +0100
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Randy Edmunds <redmunds@adobe.com>
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>

> On 26 Jan 2015, at 23:55, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I’ve taken the last round of suggestions and updated the definition of
> text-wrap:balance.

Nice.

2 more comments / questions.

Is text-wrap:balance meant to do nothing if the text is justified, as all lines are already equalized by a different mean, or should this be applied before justification kicks in? I think the later would be better, but I don't think that's what the text implies.

> [...]
> the deviation from the average
> [...]

Is this intentionally left vague, opening differences in terms of quality of implementation?

I would clarify 'deviation' into 'standard deviation'. Compared to the mean absolute deviation, the std dev is preferable, as it punishes extreme values more. For example, on a four line block, if you have between each line being 1 character off the average, or 2 lines being exactly at the average and 2 lines being off by 2 characters, the standard deviation would prefer the first situation, while the mean absolute deviation would be indifferent.

 - Florian