Re: [css-sizing] Definition of preferred content

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 23:16:10 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2015-01-23 19:36 -0500, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/13/2014 01:09 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> >>max-content (preferred intrinsic width) that is not circular and does not
> >>involve layout.
> >>
> >>Preferred and max-content are not identical in all cases.
> >
> >Really?  In
> >https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2007OctDec/0267.html
> >we resolved to rename the concept there to max-content.
>
> We did. And then we realized there are two very similar concepts
> that are identical except for multi-col elements.
>
> preferred-size for a multicol with both column-width and column-count
> is column-width*column-count. However its max-content size can be
> larger than that, since the column-width functions as a minimum and
> will grow as the container grows.

Are there really strong enough use cases for authors wanting both of
these sizing models for multicol to justify having two separate
concepts throughout specifications and implementations and two
separate concepts to expose to authors?

I'd rather we just picked one of the two behaviors for multicol.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.