Re: [css-inline] i18n-ISSUE-408: Boxed characters and initial letter properties

hi Florian,

On 23/01/2015 14:21, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> To be able to achieve the full effect of your examples, we would also need to be able to apply borders and padding inwards. Currently, http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-inline/#initial-letter-box only defines a classical model for padding, border and margin (growing outwards from the content-box, which is the one that gets sized).
>
> The devanagari examples should probably be possible to style with something like this:
> ::first-letter {
>    initial-letter: 3;
>    box-sizing: border-box;
>    border:solid black;
>    padding: 5px; /* Maybe */
> }

My initial reaction was to assume that what's needed is something like
text-align and vertical-align, applied to the box, rather than padding.

> The Chinese example looks tricky: the top of the 大 character is aligned with the top of the characters on the first line, and the box to which the is applied background extends above; on the lower side though, the box to which the background is applied lines up with the bottom of the characters on the last line, and the bottom of the 大 character aligns with nothing in particular. I am not quite sure what to make of that, both in terms of alignment or sizing.

I'm hesitant to read too much into the Chinese example without seeing
more examples like it, preferably from higher quality printed materials.
(The source of this is a newspaper.)

I wonder whether Bobby Tung has some ideas on this.

cheers,
ri