Re: multiple values for FONT similar to font-family

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:51:20 -0800
On 22/01/15 2:33 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> Unfortunately, one typically wants also to change line length and leading with a different font, and font-size-adjust doesn't help with this.

font-size-adjust is also very Latin-centric in its assumptions about
letterform characteristics and relationships.

A while ago I began thinking about a script-agnostic typeface
harmonisation mechanism, based on one or two bits of new data set by the
font maker. It seems to me the only way you can really do this is to
have the equivalent of an official weight or measure, i.e. a special
font that represents the value 1, against which all other fonts are
compared and assigned appropriate scaling values for size adjustment.

JH

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com

If stung by another man's bee, one must calculate the
extent of the injury, but also, if one swatted it in the
process, subtract the replacement value of the bee.
 Mediaeval Irish legalism