Re: [css-flexbox] Allow specifying when wrapping should happen

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:41:44 -0500
To: Glen Huang <curvedmark@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 01/19/2015 10:29 PM, Glen Huang wrote:
>> The one concern I have is what if this value is specified within
>> a flex item?
>
> I think so. This property has to work in a flex context, and the before and after position of a flex container that is not
> itself a flex item aren’t in such context.
>
>> We don't have a very solid definition for how flex items split yet.
>
> Just my 2 cents, but what about no other flex items can be in the same flex line before/after the flex item having a
> break-before/break-after property specified.

That's the easy part. How do you allocate space once you
split a flex item in half?

> Also just a quick question, is it possible to ask flex layout to ignore flex lines (or a different working mode for flex
> lines) and make flex items stack as tight as possible in the cross axis?  The use case is to enable a jquery masonry
> (http://masonry.desandro.com) like layout.

Well, you'll note that masonry layout also has lines. :)
They're filled in a different order, though: instead
of filling one line and going to the next, you fill the
next most empty line.

It's been brought up before, but since it's a fundamentally
different layout than what we have here, it's been deferred
to a future layout module, maybe Level 2 of Flex Layout.

~fantasai