Re: CSS Localization

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 18:09:50 +0100
To: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
* Cameron Jones wrote:
>The implementation of localization within browsers uses the platform locale
>for any localization of pages. This leaves no potential for configuring
>localization either to enable a locale override or to enable multilingual
>documents to exist.

It would be terribly confusing if some parts of an en-us page would use
en-gb or even de-de formatting without extremely clear indication, so
this sounds rather unlikely to me. As a user I would not even know what
any given browser installation considers my "platform locale" to be. If
I visit a en-us page in a en-us browser set to prefer en-gb content on a
de-de Windows system, it'd be rather unpredictable how to inrerpret any
possibly localised content.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/