Re: [css-device-adaptation] Progress?

> On 26 Feb 2015, at 19:18, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws> wrote:
> All in all, I see that there's a valid use case for permitting @viewport rules in external styles other than mere convenience.
> So, perhaps limiting @viewport rules to be one of the first rules in an external style (along with @charset and @import) would be enough, if coupled with user agent scanning those files to extract these rules, along with console warnings of possible performance issues.
>
> Rune, Florian - WDYT?

Console warnings definitely do seem recommended, as it is possible to make performance suffer if you use it wrong. But I don't think I would place actual restrictions on where @viewport can appear. As discussed in other posts in this thread, you'll need at the very least some flexibility so the restricting rules cannot be too basic (they need to allow for @media / @support nesting at least).

I am in general sympathetic with arguments about avoiding to provide authors with footguns, but it's always a tradeoff, and in this case I'd lean towards flexibility, even if it can indeed in some case lead to suboptimal results if poorly used.

 - Florian