[css3-ui] ime-mode section shouldn't say "Implementations should drop support for it as soon as possible."

From: Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:11:29 +0900
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
message-id: <54F00A91.3010901@d-toybox.com>
Hello,

First, I don't disagree with dropping ime-mode from CSS3-UI. As I said in 2012, I still believe that ime-mode shouldn't be standardized due to serious UX problems and bad dependence with platforms and IMEs)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Feb/0959.html

However, CSS3-UI spec shouldn't say, "Implementations should drop support for it as soon as possible".

Most ime-mode users, especially enterprise system developers, must be afraid browsers to drop ime-mode by this. Because if ime-mode were dropped from browsers actually, their system would become inconvenience than today.

I believe that ime-mode is still useful for internet applications in Japan. Therefore, browsers shouldn't drop such users without providing alternative API or CSS propery. If browsers would drop ime-mode under current situation, somebody couldn't believe web browsers as stable platform.

So, I think that the spec should say "Implementation may keep supporting it *only* for backward compatibility until alternative feature is standardized".

--
Masayuki Nakano <masayuki@d-toybox.com>
Manager, Internationalization, Mozilla Japan.