Re: [css-style-attr][CSS2.1] What should happen to values that are not valid

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:16:07 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 2/19/15 9:41 PM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> We found an interesting interop issue where Chrome/FF allow the style attribute to keep (instead of ignore) props and values that are not valid.

More precisely, getAttribute just returns the value of the attribute (as
required by the DOM specification), which is not the same thing as the
.cssText of the corresponding CSSStyleDeclaration.

> Looking into the specs for this, CSS2.1 states that[1]:

CSS2.1 does not define the return value of getAttribute().  The DOM
specification does that.

> So essentially (if I'm reading this correctly) you should get the same result when requesting what is on the style attribute and what is in the CSSOM.

I think you're reading it incorrectly.  ;)

-Boris