Re: [selectors] Previous-sibling combinator?

From: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:18:18 +0300
To: Clive Chan <doobahead@gmail.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
11.02.2015, 22:54, "Clive Chan" <doobahead@gmail.com>:
> I like the idea of requiring spaces around the dash - it'll actually force people to write nicely spaced out CSS combinators, haha - but it does break typical naming conventions. Hm. I'm still for it, though.

A possible nice option for previous-sibling combinator syntax is `!+`:

    P !+ UL {
        /* UL is previous sibling of P. */
    }

It's short (like other combinators).
it's intuitive (`!` for negation of the next-sibling combinator `+`).
it doesn't have the whitespace-around-combinator "issue".

What's important is that a responsible CSSWG member should finally (after at least 3 years after my first proposal [1]) take a _real_ action by adding a previous-sibling combinator (be it ` - `, or `!+`, or `::prev`, or anything else at first) to a real draft to prevent the proposal and the discussion results from being lost and forgotten (which is unfortunately typical here).

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/1245.html