Re: [css-scoping] Shadow Cascading

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 01:08:00 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, you're misusing the cascade.  It produces an ordering by applying
> the rules in the order specified.  The Shadow Tree rules produce only
> a partial ordering, but still.
>
> In this example, then:
>
> 1. Origin doesn't matter.  All three are still unsorted.
> 2. Shadow Tree Ancestor doesn't matter.  All three are still unsorted.
> 3. Shadow Tree Age sorts #3 ahead of #2.  #1 is still unsorted relative to them.
> 4. Specificity sorts #1 ahead of #3. You now have a total ordering.

Humm. I think that means we'll have to start cascading declarations
independently in Blink (we currently cascade style rules, although
independently per selector in the selector list). If you add
background color to #2 and #1 (and not #3), the color from #1 should
apply and the background-color from #2 should apply, right?

--
Rune Lillesveen