Re: [css-round-display] Positioning elements with polar positioning and absolute positioning

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 10:02 PM, Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com> wrote:
>
> Considering the opinions so far, the solution about this issue could like
> below:
>
> * Not giving 'auto' value to 'polar-distance' makes possible to use polar-*
> properties and ignore left/right/top/bottom when 'position' is
> relative/absolute/fixed/sticky.
> * Giving 'auto' value to 'polar-distance' means to ignore other polar-*
> properties and use left/right/top/bottom for positioning.
> * 'polar-origin' is used for setting the origin of the polar movement.

This is very similar to my proposal's third alternate, except with mine:

You don't have to ignore left/right/top/bottom. If left/right/top/bottom are auto in an axis, then non-auto polar-distance starts from the center of that axis. Otherwise you just use left/right/top/bottom to determine where the center of the element is (and thus where the polar movement starts from)  instead of using 'polar-origin'.

If 'polar-origin' was to be a percentage, then it is easy to set 'left' as a percentage instead. I think that would be the most common use case. If you wanted the offset to be some other length from center, then you would need 'calc'.

My fourth alternate to my proposal, which I favor (using a 'center' property), doesn't require 'calc'.