Re: [mediaqueries] Add epub/page to media queries list?

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 08:40, Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net <mailto:florian@rivoal.net>> wrote:
>
> In the DPUB IG, we've briefly discussed that a possible addition would let you detect wether you're on a reading device that presents a table of content as part of the UI or not, like epub readers often do. Presumably, if the answer is yes, then some authors might want to display:none the table of content in the document itself.
>
> This hasn't been fully explored yet, and there seems to be subtleties such as:
>
>  * Does the reader always generate a TOC (epub), or only if the gcpm bookmark properties are used to mark the outline?
>
>  * Is the TOC-in-the-UI major part of the UI that users will for sure see (epub readers), or some side feature they might not know about (like the "info" panel in opera desktop 12)
>
> See here for a similar discussion on the DPUB IG's mailing list:
> http://www.w3.org/mid/5B49030C-C6FA-4522-BA24-47CC18888C1C@rivoal.net <http://www.w3.org/mid/5B49030C-C6FA-4522-BA24-47CC18888C1C@rivoal.net>
>

> In some sense what we want to detect is the presence or absence of a secondary browsing context (such as in FF and Opera), which I think is the closest web analog to what e-readers often do.

I am not sure that's true. The mere presence of a secondary browsing context does not tell you whether it is know or easily discoverable to the user, and whether it contains a TOC. If neither of these are true, then hiding the TOC from the main document is probably the wrong thing to do. I am not saying it is not useful to know about the presence of that secondary browsing context (I have not clear opinion about that), but at the very least it is different from the unavoidable TOC presented by epub readers.

 - Florian