Re: [css-scroll-snap] Splitting scroll-snap-type, shorthanding on scroll container

On 9 December 2015 at 19:36, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Sebastian Zartner
> <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To me the difference between the 'both' and 'point' values is not
> > clear yet, or more precisely the difference between two 1D snap
> > positions vs. one 2D snap position.
> > So assuming those values could be removed, the property could also be
> > split up in two, one for each axis. So we'd have
> > 'scroll-snap-type-block' and 'scroll-snap-type-inline'.
>
> I'd love to know what we could improve in
> <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-scroll-snap/#snap-dimensions> to make
> this clearer.  They can't be merged, as they do two rather different
> things.

Examples explaining the differences would help.
For the description and the examples given for 2D snap positions I'd
imagine having two 1D snap positions for each axis to work the same.

After rereading the spec. I guess what is actually meant is 'axis
snapping' vs. 'point snapping'. The difference would be that for axis
snapping the scroll snapping can happen along the whole *axis*, while
for point snapping it can only happen at that specific *point*. If
that's the case, I suggest to rename 1D snap positions and 2D snap
positions accordingly to clarify that difference.

Sebastian