Re: [lots] -webkit prefixed properties and values

On 12/9/15 5:15 PM, Dean Jackson wrote:
> Honestly, I don’t think it’s worth advertising these properties
> any more than they currently are. The sooner we stop talking
> about them, the sooner we can remove support (even if that
> is many years away).

Does Apple remove support for legacy prefixed CSS/APIs? It was my
understanding that the policy was "no" (I could be wrong).

Some of our compat research earlier this year showed these were used in
~20% of a list of top 150 Japanese sites. I suspect y'all don't want
those sites to start breaking in mobile Safari, the same that we want
them to actually work in Firefox mobile browsers.

>> I'm planning to do this for all the specs I control.  Would others
>> please do the same?  The specs in question are:
>>
>> * Images
>
> I assume here you’d have to describe the legacy gradient
> syntax that WebKit implemented before the specification
> changed?

-webkit-gradient() is on the list to be specced[1], as something that
Edge and Gecko have had to reverse engineer.

This is another example of why I think they
> shouldn’t be in the primary specification: I don’t want any
> Web authors discovering them.

Relatedly, it would be cool if Apple docs [2][3] (first of which appears
as result 5 or 6 on Google for "webkit gradients") had some kind of "hey
don't use this stuff in websites" message up top.

[1] <https://github.com/whatwg/compat/issues/1>
[2] <https://webkit.org/blog/175/introducing-css-gradients/>
[3]
<https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/InternetWeb/Conceptual/SafariVisualEffectsProgGuide/Gradients/Gradient.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008032-CH10-SW34>