Re: [css-backgrounds][css-grid][css-logical] 2-axis positions vs. 4-direction shorthands

From: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 20:53:00 +0300
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
25.10.2015, 06:57, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
> The question before us now is, what's the worse inconsistency? :)
> A. Splitting the bucket so that
> block/inline => grid-area, margin, padding, border, offset, [ other 4-value ]
> inline/block => grid-template, background-position, scroll-snap-align, [ other 2-value ]
>
> B. Or making logical coordinates always block, then inline, even though
> physical coordinates in background-position are horizontal, vertical?
> background-position: start end; /* block, inline */
> margin: 1em 2em relative; /* block, inline */

FWIW, the "horizontal (inline) first, vertical (block) second" order is much more intuitive and expected for me as a web developer since 2002.

It always was strange for me why e.g. `margin` and `padding` shorthands have the "Top Right Bottom Left" order instead of the more intuitive "Left Top Right Bottom" order.

After all, when we're writing/typing-in some text, we're first moving horizontally, then, once current line has ended, we're moving vertically to next lines.

Dimensions of real-world things like TV sets on Amazon are usually also specified as "Width x Height", not "Height x Width".

Thanks.