Re: [css-grid] Clarifying "all lines in the implicit grid" text (which probably wants to exclude explicit grid)

On 25/04/15 00:50, Daniel Holbert wrote:
>  (3) Note that the area you're describing -- the area outside of the
> explicit grid -- could be L-shaped.  A term like "implicit grid" seems
> like a weird name for an L-shaped area, since "grid" implies something
> rectangular, to me at least.

Just a clarification, it's not only L-shaped, but if I'm not wrong it
might be a square around the explicit grid.

For example in a 2x2 grid:
  grid-template-columns: 100px 100px;
  grid-template-rows: 50px 50px;

If you place an item with ([1] & [2]):
  grid-column: -1 foo / span bar;
  grid-row: -1 foo / span bar;

You'll end up having a 4x4 grid, with the explicit grid (E) "wrapped" by
the implicit grid (I):

  I I I I
  I E E I
  I E E I