Re: International List Numbering in the Wild? (was: New name for Predefined Counter Styles doc)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:39:13 -0700
To: Andre Schappo <A.Schappo@lboro.ac.uk>
Cc: www International <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:55 AM, Andre Schappo <A.Schappo@lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
> As you all know, list-style-type has been around for a long time and has made possible the numbering of html list items in scripts such as cjk-ideographic, devanagari, tibetan, thai …etc…
>
> I make extensive use of international list numbering in my blog eg list-style-type:cjk-ideographic http://schappo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/western-brands-on-weibo.html
>
> There are a number of technical and test sites that explain/demonstrate international list numbering and so use international list numbering.
>
> But … I have never come across any regular websites in the wild using international list numbering. I have only ever encountered regular websites using the 1,2,3,4,… numbering. I do frequently look at non english websites because of my study of IDNs.
>
> Anybody encountered any regular websites using international list numbering? If you have can you please post links as I would like to show them to my students (and I would like to see them myself :)). I have only ever encountered regular websites using the 1,2,3,4,… numbering.

The spec is currently only implemented in Firefox, and only recently,
so I wouldn't expect it to be much used in the wild.

It should be possible to find examples of the predefined counter
styles in the wild, though.  I'll see if I can get ahold of that
webdevdata thing (a big zip of lots of web page sources) and grep for
some of that.