Re: [css-variables][mediaqueries] Allow var() in media queries?

> you can easily set up rules inside the @media that change what the @media condition
evaluates to

I'm new to this thread and to the matter itself, but wouldnt it be possible
to solve this case in a way similar to that proposed to solve the conflict
between @viewport and media queries in CSS Device Adaptation.
Media queries should be evaluated according to the rules specified outside
of them, without being affected by the same changes they cause. So
  :root {
    --page-width: 768px;
  }

  @media (min-width: var(--page-width)) {
    :root {
      --page-width: 120px;
    }
  }

This case, @media is evaluated with the value of min-width = 768px, and
local changes made by it (overwriting --page-width to 120px) cannot affect
it.
Is it possible, on a programming sense?