Re: [css-snappoints] Blink team position on snap points

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 23:25:01 +0100, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:

> We realized that there hasn't been much involvement from the blink team
> on this proposal.  I just wanted to send a quick note to communicate our
> position (especially >since I was so enthusiastic about this in initial
> discussions with Microsoft immediately after it was announced in IE).
> We're currently focused (eg. see [1]) on low-level mechanisms that give
> framework developers more flexibility to customize the behavior while
> scrolling.  We imagine a >world where frameworks can implement a wide
> variety of effects like snap points without needing any new APIs and the
> associated web-standards efforts.

I've run into articles from the New York Times filled with excellent use
cases for customizable scrolling. They've made a number of interesting
effects, from simple snap scroll or sticky positioning, to parallax
effects, fading in and out, videos sync with scrolling, and many others
things.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/19/travel/reif-larsen-norway.html
(fading, snap points, video/animation sync)

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/gun-country/
(snap points, video sync)

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/the-jockey/
(fading, snap points, video/animation sync, sticky positioning...)
Note the interesting pull quotes that combine it all.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/tomato-can-blues/
(parallax, sticky positioning, progressively-insert-and-move-things,

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/
(automatic scrolling, fading, video/animation sync, sticky positioning)

If you haven't seen these articles before and are working on a
customizable scrolling proposal, I think they're well worth looking at.

  - Florian