Re: [css-ruby] ruby-position: inter-character

> Who is 'we’?

It was a few years ago when fantasai, me, and some EPUB folks gathered in Taiwan EPUB conference.

> I would think that this is a non-starter unless the necessary OpenType features are already present in most Chinese fonts. I don't know whether that's the case, or what proportion of fonts have it, but I'm rather dubious that you'd find that available, and extremely doubtfull that it's available in the majority of Chinese fonts, so I'm inclined to think that handling in layout is likely to provide greater interoperability.
>
> I have seen fonts that include bopomofo ruby, but I believe that these are rather special fonts, and I'm not even sure whether you can hide the ruby when using them.

No fonts as far as I know implemented the GPOS/GSUB, as Bobby confirmed. Also most of vertical flow implementations do not support GPOS/GSUB either as of today, so I agree that if we want one implementation, doing it in layout code is quicker.

But spec’ing and making it interoperable will take quite long anyway, and I’m not so sure doing Bopomofo rendering in layout code is the right way to go.

It’s actually great to know that there’s one experimental font that does the layout using GSUB. If it’s technically feasible, making such fonts, along with supporting GPOS/GSUB rendering engine still looks win to me.

Fonts are not necessarily widely installed today, if there is one public font, authors can use web fonts or embed it to EPUB.

/koji