Re: [css-snappoints] Blink team position on snap points

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:

> To follow up from this old thread, we've just started a discussion over on
> www-dom ("Enabling scroll customization") for one approach to allow
> frameworks to implement effects like snap points in JavaScript:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2014JulSep/0134.html.

Apologies for following up here, but it's more of a CSS issue:

Native div scrolling will ignore beforescroll events that have passed
> through an absolutely positioned element
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#absolute-positioning>. This
> explains why scrolling will chain up only <http://jsbin.com/larapi/2/edit>
> to fixed or absolutely positioned elements, and then chain directly to the
> document (not impacting any other ancestor scrollers).

I don't understand this. Is this emulating some Blink-specific Blink-native
scrolling behavior? Firefox scrolling doesn't have any behavior like this.

Note that one motivation for this approach (but certainly not our only one)
> is Google's material design (
> http://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html).
> There are a number of scroll-linked effects that will be shipping in mobile
> apps which are currently impossible to do properly on the web.

Do you have something that describes what they are?

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo