Re: [css-ruby] ruby-position: inter-character

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:48:32 -0500
Cc: (wrong string) 钧 陈 <ethantw@me.com>
To: Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>
On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:56 AM, Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw> wrote:

> Thats so great, Ive done some testing for that.
>
> Heres the quick sample for testing :
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s22wxba3iotjers/bopomofo_hori.xhtml
>
> 1. alignment to Hanzi looks nice so far, and
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rcb97do3lnza51/alignment.png
>
> 2, Bopomofo is grouped.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/35428g4zvp6h7x7/rubyposition.mov
>
> That fulfilled the basic requirement for horizontal writing rule, and yes, need some extra work on tone marks.
>
> 1. In the xhtml sample, I need add blank nested ruby for every characters to make sure letter space consistent.

Note with the WebKit implementation, you should be able to set CSS letter-spacing and the ruby will fit inside the letter-spacing, i.e., you can achieve consistent letter-spacing regardless of whether ruby is present or not without having to make empty nested ruby.

I have no idea what the rule should be here (something for the spec to clarify), but I basically decided the spacing between the main glyphs should be max(space needed for the ruby, letter-spacing). If we want ruby-position: inter-character to establish some default letter-spacing, I can do that too.

dave