Re: [css4-ui] Styling the caret

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 02:14:37 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On 09/05/2014 05:04 PM, Jet Villegas W3C wrote:
>>
>>> I think we want to use 'initial' rather than "auto" to
>>> indicate the default user-agent behavior.
>>

>> No, I don't think you do. 'initial' has to compute to a particular
>> value (that exists independently). It is not a valid initial value.
>
> Yeah, that's fine, no?  What would be wrong with exposing the UA default
> color?

auto sounds like a better choice. If the possible values were restricted
to <color>, then we prevent UAs from doing something smart that reacts to
the background. Most likely, UAs would want currentColor to be the default
behavior, but if someone wants to do something more involved, why stop
them?

If we're not interested in allowing this kind of smartness, currentColor
makes a fine default.

--
  - Florian