Re: [css4-ui] Styling the caret

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:05:44 -0700
To: Silverwind <me@silverwind.io>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Silverwind <me@silverwind.io> wrote:
> I feel like a simple 'caret' property would hinder future additions to caret
> customization, and a 'caret-color' would be more appropriate. Including two
> other related properties which came to mind, I'd propose these:
>
> Name: caret-color
> Values: <color>
>
> Name: caret-style
> Values: line | block | underline
>
> Name: caret-width
> Values: <length>
>
> These 3 properties could then be combined in a shorthand very similar to
> 'border':
>
> Name: caret
> Values: <caret-width>|| <caret-style> || <caret-color>

At the CSSWG f2f earlier this week, we resolved to add caret-color;
based on the discussion above, the grammar would just be "<color>",
with the initial value being a UA-defined color.

We can add more later if we have reasons to, but aren't planning to at
the moment.

In particular, caret-style seems like possibly a bad idea; "underline"
is the "overwrite" behavior, otherwise known as "what the hell is
happening with my text?!?" behavior. ^_^