Re: [css3-writing-modes] eliminate 'sideways' and 'sideways-left' for 'text-orientation'

Le 2014-09-09 22:24, John Daggett a écrit :
> As part of our work on supporting vertical text, we're working on
> adding support for the 'text-orientation' property to Gecko.
>
> There are only three values needed for actual vertical text usage, the
> default, automatic behavior, and explicit overrides for the vertical
> and sideways cases. I'd prefer these be 'auto, vertical, sideways' but
> the spec wants these to be 'mixed, vertical, sideways-right'.

John,

Did you mean to say "the spec wants these to be 'mixed, upright,
sideways-right'" ?

Otherwise, are you suggesting that 'vertical' should replace 'upright' ?

> I think we should simply drop the other values, 'sideways' and
> 'sideways-left' for this level ('glyph-orientation' is already
> optional). The 'sideways-right' value is the value used by authors for
> both Mongolian and CJK vertical text.
>
> fantasai seemed to think there were uses for 'sideways-left' but these
> seem like obscure, unnecessary cases [1]. The 'sideways' keyword is a
> synonym for either 'sideways-right' or 'sideways-left' depending upon
> the writing-mode but there's no need for a value with this behavior,
> it's basically just an synonym for use in the CJK case. As such, it's
> unnecessary and clutters the property design.

In some cases, there are commercial banners which use sideways-left. I
can also see some tables using 'sideways-left' for a table header cell
grouping, row-spanning several table rows (ie <th rowspan="5">) when one
wants to make a table narrower ... but it could use 'sideways-right' as
well.

Gérard