Re: [css-grid] implicit grid lines when using fixed "gutter" tracks

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Rachel Andrew <rachelandrewuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm thinking more of something like a page grid with things
>> distributed around, and a central content area designed to be
>> auto-filled with some number of content elements.  You might want a
>> gap around the elements in the center there, but not between the
>> surrounding page-template stuff.  Do you have any examples like that
>> yet?
>>

> I'm wondering if people would just nest grids in that situation. It seems
> more likely that you would know what the shape of the outer stuff was, and
> could specify the tracks. Then have an inner which auto-filled to a regular
> pattern.

True.  It probably is likely that for that kind of thing, there'll be
a container element for the main content items anyway, which makes a
nested grid very simple to work with.

> I'm going to have a look at some of the common frameworks people are using
> to do grid type layout currently, and see how those workflows map to Grid. I
> think this auto issue is probably one I'll be working around a fair bit
> though.

Cool. If you find anything, I'd appreciate a report back!  Otherwise,
I'll assume that nesting grids and row/column-gap (in level 2) will
suffice.