Re: [css-line-grid] line snapping under box layout constraints

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> A while back I added some examples to line-snap on what should be done to
> snap lines when their block is centered or bottom-aligned. I’ve added some
> normative text to the draft now that should cover those cases (and others):
>
> ---
> An element can have additional block layout constraints
> (such as centering or 'box-snap')
> that can complicate line snapping.
> In these cases, implementations must produce
> the same result as the steps below:
>
> - Line snap as if the layout constraint does not apply
>
> - Apply the layout constraint to the block
>
> - Adjust exactly one line box shift
> or space at the beginning or end of the block
> such that all of the snapping lines meet the line grid
> while maintaining the block layout constraint.
> The single adjustment chosen must be
> the smallest shift needed to achieve the result.
>
> ---

This sounds sane.

You don't always have two choices - one shift might push the content
into the overflow area, so even if it's smaller, you want the other
one.  You probably need to be a little more specific on what is meant
by "maintaining the block layout constraint".