W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > October 2014

[CSSWG] Minutes Sophia-Antipolis F2F 2014-09-10 Part V: Survey of All the Specs

From: Dael Jackson <daelcss@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:52:20 -0400
Message-ID: <CADhPm3vX4N2Q3YHvhH94UXr32EYXNYUothyckZQHiFdjG0e3Xg@mail.gmail.com>
To: www-style@w3.org
Survey of All the Specs
-----------------------

  - The group took some time to go over every spec both for good
      housekeeping and to work toward meeting the new heartbeat
      requirement from W3C
(http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#three-month-rule).
  - CSS3 Linebox has an outstanding resolution to publish an update
  - CSS Generated and Replaced Content is getting stripped down and
      will pull in GCPM generated content bits before being
      republished by fantasai, dauwhe, and maybe TabAtkins
  - CSS TV Profile 1.0 will be made into a note
  - CSS Presentation Levels will be made into a note
  - CSS Reader Media Type will become a rescinded note
  - CSS Hyperlink Presentation Module will become a rescinded note
  - CSS Basic Box Module will become be republished with an obnoxious
      note of instability pointing to CSS2.1 as the normative spec.
  - CSS Grid Positioning is an erroneous link as it was superseded
      by Grid Layout
  - BECSS will become a rescinded note
  - CSS Marquee will become a rescinded note
  - CSS Mobile Profile 2.0 will be made into a note
  - CSS Multi-column Layout is still alive and well, it just needs
      more work and tests
  - CSS Device Adaptation is on hold waiting until we hear back from
      others not at the meeting
  - CSS Template Layout
      - RESOLVED: CSS Template Module becomes actively-developed Note
  - CSS3 UI
      - RESOLVED: Add TabAtkins as editor of css3-ui
  - CSS Positioned Layout will wait until we hear from ArronEi
  - CSS Speech is fine, but just waiting for a better test suite.
      People are implementing it, though.
  - CSS Image Values Level 3 will be edited and republished by
      fantasai and TabAtkins
  - Fullscreen
      - RESOLVED: CSSWG thinks Fullscreen should move to a Note
          referencing the WHATWG spec
  - CSS Images Level 4 will stay as a WD, no republication until
      something to republish
  - CSS Sizing Module is being actively edited
  - CSS Animations will be republished in the next three months by
      sylvaing
  - CSS Paged Media 3
      - RESOLVED: add dauwhe as editor
  - CSS Conditional Rules is just in need of a few more tests to
      fill in the gaps
  - CSS Overflow Module is active, just doesn't need publishing yet
  - Selectors Level 4 is active, just doesn't need publishing yet
  - Box Alignment Module L3 is active, just doesn't need publishing
      yet
  - CSS Exclusions is active, just doesn't need publishing yet
  - CSS Values and Units is almost ready, but needs some
      word-smithing
  - Text Decoration 3 is active, just doesn't need publishing yet
  - DOMMATRIX will become a rescinded note
  - CSS Fonts is active, just doesn't need publishing yet
  - CSS Scoping needs to incorporate outstanding edits, be
      republished

===== FULL MINUTES BELOW ======

Scribe: fantasai

Survey of All the Specs
-----------------------

  Bert: I added this topic for 2 reasons.
  Bert: Good a idea to go over out specs, especially the very old
        ones, let people know what we think of them currently.
  Bert: Also, new process has new heartbeat requirement.
  Bert: The old requirement was WG publishes something every 3 months
  Bert: The new one is every spec gets published at least once every
        6 months.
  hober: If we parked all of them as notes, we wouldn't have to
         publish them every 6 months?
  hober: If they die if we don't update, which ones should we
         convert into notes?
  dbaron: I'd like to note that the Process doesn't prescribe a
          punishment for failing the heartbeat requirement.
  <dbaron> list in http://wiki.csswg.org/planning/sophia-2014

  CSS3 Linebox
    - Replaced by css-inline
    - dauwhe will republish as css-inline
    - Already have a WG resolution to publish an update

  CSS Generated and Replaced Content
    - Getting stripped down, pull in GCPM generated content bits,
        republished by fantasai, dauwhe, and maybe TabAtkins

  CSS TV Profile 1.0
    - Nobody cares
    - Make it a note
    ACTION Bert Turn CSS TV Profile 1.0 into a note.
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-640

  CSS Presentation Levels
    ACTION Bert Turn CSS Presentation Levels into a Note
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-641

  SteveZ: In status section say "This is no longer active, and no
          further work is planned at this time."
  plinss: We should wordsmith something.
  hober: In a couple other WGs, Notes have been gutted.
  hober: Like, the status was there, but the contents were removed.
  hober: To prevent accidental referencing.
  fantasai: I totally agree with that for things we want to rescind.
            But these two should probably keep their contents.

  CSS Reader Media Type
    - Gutted.
    ACTION Bert Turn CSS Reader Media Type into a rescinded Note,
        remove all contents other than status.
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-642

  CSS Hyperlink Presentation Module
    - discussion of what to do with this
    - some interest in doing some kind of hyperlinking but unlikely
        to be as described here
    - Considering gutting this version, and then resurrecting if
        necessary with new spec.
    - Gutted.
    ACTION Bert Turn CSS Hyperlinks into a rescinded Note, remove
        all contents other than status.
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-643

  CSS Basic Box Module
    Bert: Still want to work on that, I think Anton wanted to work
          on box tree stuff.
    fantasai: What's there is severely out of date, and shouldn't be
              referenced.
    hober: Who would work on it?
    Bert: Me, but very slowly.
    Bert: Editor's draft as-is is not publishable.
    TabAtkins: Can we republish the current WD with a warning
               notice?
    fantasai: Should have one of the really obnoxious ones, that's
              fixed-positioned, and points to CSS2.1 as most
              referenceable up-to-date version of box model
    ACTION Bert: Republish css3-box with obnoxious note pointing to
        CSS2.1
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-644

  CSS Grid Positioning
    - This was merged into CSS Grid Layout, seems like TR listing is
        broken
    ACTION Bert Sort out TR listing of css3-grid, which was
        superseded by css-grid-layout
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-645

  BECSS
    - ACTION Bert BECSS republished as gutted note
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-646

  CSS Marquee
    ACTION Bert CSS Marquee republished as gutted note
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-647

  CSS Mobile Profile 2.0
    ACTION Bert Republish Mobile Profile as (regular) Note
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-648

  CSS Multi-column Layout
    <dbaron> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-multicol-1_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/toc.htm
    <dbaron> heartbeat requirement is in
             http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#three-month-rule
    fantasai: I think we should just leave this one alone. It's in
              CR. We don't want to rescind it. It's not out-of-date.
              It needs work, but we have nothing to publish.
    dbaron: The 6 months clock does not start until it's republished
            under the new process
    fantasai: So we should leave it alone, with its current old date
             (which indicates that nobody's looked at it recently)
    - discussion of tests
    - florian thinks there's some tests somewhere
    - No action on this one

  CSS Device Adaptation
    Rossen: Wasn't this where we were going to put device-pixel-
            ratio?
    fantasai: device-pixel-ratio is a Media Queries
    Rossen: Yeah but the zoom stuff, etc.
    fantasai: Yes.
    Rossen: We have lots of different zooms, highDPI, etc. This was
            the spec to host all of this.
    Rossen: Perhaps the editors want to ...?
    ACTION spieters Bug Rune about CSS Device Adaptation spec, what
        to do about it
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-649

  CSS Template Layout
    Bert: I want to work on it, but you won't let me.
    florian: I'm interested in working on CSS Device Adaptation...
             but I don't have a plan for it.
    Bert: Last time I asked to publish a WD, WG wouldn't let me.
    TabAtkins: Because it was gratuitously different from Grid.
    Bert: Some overlap,
    glazou: Is any implementor interested in implementing this?
    fantasai: I think the parts that duplicate grid should be
              removed from this draft. Bert has been exploring how
              to integrate grid, ..., ..., and ...
    plinss: ... page template work. I think this should be a note,
            actively worked on.
    plinss: At some point we may rejigger other things and put into
            this spec.
    TabAtkins: I'm good with more exploration, with this as a Note

    RESOLVED: CSS Template Module becomes actively-developed Note

  CSS3 UI
    TabAtkins: Tantek's not doing anything... was planning on taking
               it over.
    [discussion of appearance]
    TabAtkins: You can implement -webkit-appearance
    gregwhitworth: we already did
    RESOLVED: Add TabAtkins as editor of css3-ui
    - We'll republish once there's something reasonably to republish

  CSS Positioned Layout
    TabAtkins: who's editing?
    Rossen. ArronEi left MSFT
    SteveZ: Ask about Arron's involvement? Should move to previous
            editor?
    TabAtkins: Or he might have more time to edit as Invited Expert
               than as MSFT employee

  CSS Speech
    plinss: Should update the status section and republish?
    SteveZ: No work has gone on, still waiting for adequate test
            suite, say how many months, and that's an adequate
            status update
    glazou: Let me ping dweck
    fantasai: We should just leave it in CR, not republish as note
    fantasai: We're still recommending that people implement it.
    fantasai: Just don't have implementations yet

  CSS Image Values Level 3
    fantasai: We need to make edits and republish anyway.
    - fantasai and Tab to edit and publish

  Fullscreen
    SimonSapin: There's a WHATWG spec.
    TabAtkins: Propose gutted note with reference to WHATWG spec.
    hober: It's a joint publication with WebApps, so we have to ask
           them.
    ACTION hober Deal with Fullscreen
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-650
    RESOLVED: CSSWG thinks Fullscreen should move to a Note as
        described above

  CSS Images Level 4
    - keep it as WD, no republication until something to republish

  CSS Sizing Module
    TabAtkins: We need to review/update/republish
    - fantasai and TabAtkins actively editing, will be handled later

  CSS Animations
    - republish as WD
    - when sylvaing is ready
    - active under sylvaing
    - should publish next 3 months

  CSS Paged Media 3
    RESOLVED: add dauwhe as editor
    SimonSapin: I’m not gonna work on it this year.
    - fantasai and dauwhe to incorporate GCPM bits, overall
        update/outstanding edits, republish

  CSS Conditional Rules
    dbaron: In CR
    dbaron: Trying to figure out how much of a test suite we have
            right now.
    dbaron: I think it has a pretty decent number of tests...87 tests
    dbaron: It's not a huge spec.
    plinss: A lot of those are multi-test script tests.
    dbaron: Could use more tests, but has a decent suite.
    glazou: It's implemented anyway.
    plinss: I think his point is the test suite isn't quite ready
            for PR.
    dbaron: If someone sits down for a day and looks at coverage,
            fills in gaps, should be ready for PR.
    plinss: Can we action someone to do that?
    dbaron: I can look into it

  CSS Overflow Module
    plinss: Talked about working on that paragraph of paged media
            etc.
    glazou: It's been 18 months since FPWD.
    fantasai: Nothing to publish right now, but it's active.

  Selectors Level 4
    TabAtkins: Want to republish soon, will be working on that

  Box Alignment Module L3
    TabAtkins: We intend to republish soon
    fantasai: We just have to finish up baseline alignment

  CSS Exclusions
    Rossen: Keeping this one active
    Rossen: At the very least, we need to convert to bikeshed.
    florian: 230 tests from Opera on multi-column layout, by the way.

  CSS Values and Units
    - In CR
    - Keep
    fantasai: I think we need to republish that one, too.
    fantasai: There's some word-smithing needed on <custom-ident>,
              rest of DoC is green.

  Text Decoration 3
    - CR
  fantasai: No issues filed
    - Keep it

  DOMMATRIX
    ACTION Bert Republish DOMMATRIX as gutted note, replaced by
        Geometry Interfaces
    <trackbot> Created ACTION-651

  CSS Fonts
    ChrisL: jdaggett resurfaced recently
    - In CR. No worries

  [going quickly through the rest, since they're recent]
  fantasai: We need to republish Scoping. We have outstanding edits
            to do from the last F2F

  glazou: We've exhausted the agenda
  <sgalineau> meant to ask to republish a css-animations WD as soon
              as meeting resolutions are edited; looks like this is
              covered.

  dbaron: Why is the Encoding spec in our WG???
  Bert: WG that published it asked for the CSS keyword to be added
        to the metadata.

  [End of Meeting]
Received on Wednesday, 15 October 2014 18:52:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:39:25 UTC