Re: [css-sizing] Circular definition of max content

On 13/10/14 18:01, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2014 9:57 AM, "Simon Sapin" <simon.sapin@exyr.org
> <mailto:simon.sapin@exyr.org>> wrote:
>  >
>  > The ED defines:
>  >>
>  >> The max-content inline-size of a block container box is the
>  >> inline-size of the box after layout, if all children are sized under
>  >> a max-content constraint.
>  >
>  >
>  > And:
>  >
>  >> max-content constraint
>  >> A sizing constraint imposed by the box’s containing block that causes
>  >> it to produce its max-content contribution.
>  >
>  >
>  > So, max-content is what you get when you get max-content. This is not
> a useful definition.
>
> Note the distinction between "constraint" and "contribution". Those are
> different words. ^_^

Noted. Still:

max-content inline-size contribution (when the computed width/height is
'auto') =  max-content inline-size + margins and stuff

max-content inline-size = "size after layout under a max-content constraint"

max-content constraint = what causes a box to "produce" its max-content
inline-size contribution

All of these things are defined in terms of each other, and so I don’t
know how to determine any of them.

>  > Also, intrinsic size computation should not involve actual layout,
> since it may be required (through "shrink-to-fit") as one of the early
> steps of layout itself.
>
> Hmm, that's badly worded. It doesn't actually require layout. I'll see
> about rewording.
>
>  > http://dbaron.org/css/intrinsic/#intrinsic has a definition of
> max-content (preferred intrinsic width) that is not circular and does
> not involve layout.
>
> Preferred and max-content are not identical in all cases.

css-sizing now makes that distinction, but CSS 2.1 and the document
linked above do not. Pretend it says max-content.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-sizing/#max-content-inline-size has a note
“This is called the “preferred width” in CSS2.1§10.3.5”

--
Simon Sapin