Re: [css-sizing] Circular definition of max content

On Oct 13, 2014 9:57 AM, "Simon Sapin" <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> The ED defines:
>>
>> The max-content inline-size of a block container box is the
>> inline-size of the box after layout, if all children are sized under
>> a max-content constraint.
>

> And:
>
>> max-content constraint
>> A sizing constraint imposed by the box’s containing block that causes
>> it to produce its max-content contribution.
>

> So, max-content is what you get when you get max-content. This is not a
useful definition.

Note the distinction between "constraint" and "contribution". Those are
different words. ^_^

> Also, intrinsic size computation should not involve actual layout, since
it may be required (through "shrink-to-fit") as one of the early steps of
layout itself.

Hmm, that's badly worded. It doesn't actually require layout. I'll see
about rewording.

> http://dbaron.org/css/intrinsic/#intrinsic has a definition of
max-content (preferred intrinsic width) that is not circular and does not
involve layout.

Preferred and max-content are not identical in all cases.