Re: CSS, DRY, and Code Optimization

Le 2014-10-09 09:38, Jens O. Meiert a écrit :
> Not to toot horns but as a distant follow-up to earlier discussions
> around CSS complexity [1] and fragmentation [2]:
>
> http://meiert.com/en/blog/20141009/css-dry-and-optimization/
>
> In short, but I’d wish the article to share the necessary detail,
> there’s long been a tendency for many web developers to forget to
> optimize style sheets, something that primarily makes them “WET,” and
> I think that issue justifies becoming a bigger concern for the group
> here.
>
> (I’m in a travel sprint and on and off in case this raises other
> questions, so I just wish to share what I deem points that don’t get
> as much coverage as they may deserve.)
>
> Cheers,
>  Jens.
>

> [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/thread.html#msg190
> [2]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Dec/thread.html#msg81

CSS was originally designed to reduce code and to encourage (or favor)
code re-use. Today, it's the opposite that prevails overwhelmingly on
the web. A majority of author style sheets have useless and pointless
redeclarations and multiple redefinitions. Also we see use of CSS resets
very often for no reason - that is for no *good* reason - .

There is such a thing as bloated CSS code.

Ignorance of user agent style sheets does not explain everything.
Overall, web designers are "visual control freaks" and pursueing
pixel-perfect chimera.

Gérard