Re: [cssom-view] scroll-behavior CSS property 'auto' value

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 23:25:49 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <
> robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:40:01 +0200, Kip Gilbert <kgilbert@mozilla.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> I tend to agree.  Beyond the case with snap-points, I don't see many
>>
>>> use cases for disabling the smooth scrolling animation.  I'll check
>>> with my peers to see if they have any objection to 'instant' simply
>>> disabling the animation for snap-points.
>>>

>> Disallowing a certain combination of features just because we can't think
>> of a use for them adds complexity to the platform. I'm not convinced it's
>> worth it in this case, but I don't feel strongly about it.
>>

> If we allow instant scrolling without snap points, what should happen on a
> touch device when the user flicks?

I'm not sure. How about instant page-down?

I don't think the use-cases for 'instant' are very strong at all with or
without snap-points. As I've expressed before on this list, I think the
spreadsheet behavior that's usually cited as the use-case for 'instant' is
a tradition that I don't know how to justify from UX principles, so I don't
know how to extrapolate that behavior to new situations like fling gestures.

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo