Re: [css-line-grid][css-books] opt-in or opt-out? (was one property or more?

On Oct 3, 2014, at 10:10, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> [1] =
http://blogs.adobe.com/webplatform/2014/02/05/baseline-grids-for-the-web/
>>=20
>> Not sure which picture in the blog post you think is common
>=20
> Either of the last two are valid ways to set headings in Latin. What =
you
> need to avoid is line snapping everything [4].

Agreed, but that doesn=92t explain which is fewer, or whether opt-in or =
opt-out is better strategy. I agree with H=E5kon that by default all to =
snap and author specify what not to is better.

>> having blocks align to the grid looks natural to me, and matches to =
what
>> East Asians do[2]. If that=92s the case, wouldn=92t it be more =
appropriate to
>> say there are more elements to snap than not to?
>=20
> The more or less elements argument was applied to the use of line =
snapping
> - both drafts use a separate property for box/block snapping. So =
adding
> more box-snap elements isn=92t that relevant to the question of =
whether we
> should have one or two properties for establishing a grid and turning =
on
> line snapping.

You=92re right, I was discussing whether to opt-in or opt-out, so =
changed the subject.

>> I can=92t really speak of Latin typography better than you, but =
please keep
>> in mind that, at least in East Asia, authors would want almost every
>> element to snap, except headings and pictures as blocks to snap (see =
Fig.
>> 4.20 for when headings are of multiple lines[3].)
>>=20
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#processing_of_gyoudori
>> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#fig3_1_17-en
>=20
> Right - Fig 4.20 shows a heading that box snaps and deliberately does
> *not* line snap. That=92s quite similar to the examples I give in my =
blog
> post, though the box snap setting used will likely be different for
> different scripts.

As Christoph said, I=92m not convinced that only few elements snap. I =
don=92t want authors to make a list of =93p, div, dl, dd, dt, ol, ul, =
li, =85=94 in every styesheet.

One possible idea is to make everything snap by default, with:
* line-snap if the computed line-height is the same as the line-height =
of the element that created the grid, and
* box-snap otherwise.
Authors can further specify specific elements to behave differently, but =
I think that=92d be a reasonable default for most of daily use cases.

Does this suffice both of requirements?

/koji