Re: [css-syntax] Removed <unicode-range-token>, please review

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Tab, we have an existing spec in CR that already defines the unicode
> range syntax.

Not really.  The definition of the unicode-range syntax has always
been in CSS 2.1 Chapter 4 or CSS Syntax.  CSS Fonts defines some
additional validity rules over the core syntax.

> I do not think it makes sense to either move it out of
> the Fonts spec or reword it in the way you've done, especially when
> what you describe is not what is currently implemented. Better to
> fix existing weaknesses if they exist than to create a whole new
> description that needs to be vetted again.
>
> I think we should narrow the necessary changes to "what about the
> syntax needs to be reworded if the unicode-range token is removed?"

Yes, I agree.  What am I doing beyond that now?  All the spec is doing
is defining what sequences of tokens get interpreted into a <urange>,
and marking some results from that as invalid <urange>s, matching what
Fonts specifies.  (If it's a good idea to make those invalid in
@font-face/unicode-range, it's a good idea for them to be invalid
anywhere that uses <urange>, so it should be part of the <urange>
definition.)