Re: [css-pseudo] ::selection issues

On Wednesday 2014-11-12 13:26 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> > 2. The current list of acceptable properties is
> >    - color
> >    - background-color
> >    - cursor
> >    - outline
> >    - text-decoration
> >    - text-emphasis-color (but not text-emphasis)
> >    - text-shadow
> >
> >    a. Are these acceptable?
> >    b. Should any other properties be added?
> >    c. All but the first two are currently optional. Should any others be
> > required?
>
> Why aren't we just using the ::first-line list?

::selection is implemented very differently from ::first-line;
::first-line works like a rendering object, whereas ::selection
changes the painting behavior of text.  You also don't want to allow
::selection styles to affect layout.

> > 3. All four browser engines drop the OS colors with when either of 'color'
> >    or 'background-color' is unspecified. This means we have to violate
> >    dbaron's #2 requirement (that the OS colors be representable as a UA
> >    style rule):
> >      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0268.html
> >
> >    Given that, I'm assuming this is a Web-compat requirement.
> >    Shall this be required behavior?
>
> Assuming it's web-compat, yes.

Is someone going to check that assumption in some way?

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.