Re: [cssom-view] scope of the 'scroll-behavior' property

On Sun, 25 May 2014 23:54:54 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh, I had assumed that 'auto' represented the user/system default,
>> not backstop to 'scroll-behavior'.  Is it intentional that those are
>> completely ignored?
>>

> Yes, it seems to me that scroll-behavior should have an 'auto' value
> which
> is the initial value.

It was the API's "auto" value that was under discussion. Currently the CSS
property does not have an "auto" value.

> But then I'm not sure what the use-cases are for the "initial" and
> "smooth"
> values of scroll-behavior.

"instant" is the initial value, and gives the same behavior as we have
today.

"smooth" allows the UA to do the scroll over a period of time in a
UA-defined manner for scrolls triggered from navigation and from the
scrolling APIs (unless the script specified "instant" or "smooth"
explicitly).

For use cases, please see
http://www.w3.org/mid/op.ww4mdlp2idj3kv@simons-macbook-pro.local

cheers